At the Center for Family and Implant Dentistry, we understand the significance of making every visit to our office an exceptional experience, especially when it comes to your first one. We want you to feel prepared and assured that everything will be taken care of during this important visit.
As you step into our welcoming space, you will have the pleasure of meeting not only Dr. MacConnell but also the rest of our dedicated team, who are committed to providing you with top-notch dental care. Our team is comprised of knowledgeable individuals who possess a wealth of expertise in their respective fields, ensuring that you receive nothing short of outstanding treatment and service.
During your initial appointment, a skilled dental hygienist will perform a thorough examination and cleaning tailored specifically to your needs, leaving no stone unturned in assessing your oral health. Rest assured that any questions or concerns you may have throughout your visit will be promptly addressed by our attentive staff members, who prioritize keeping you informed at all times.
What Happens During Your First Visit?
During your first visit, we will perform the following:
- A review of your full health history: At your first visit, we want to get a comprehensive understanding of your overall health. Our team will go through a detailed questionnaire with you, asking about any medical conditions, allergies, medications you're taking, and past surgeries. This information helps us tailor our dental care to suit your specific needs.
- An oral cancer screening: Your well-being is our utmost priority. During the visit, we will conduct an oral cancer screening where Dr. MacConnell will carefully examine the tissues in your mouth for any signs of abnormalities or potential indicators of oral cancer.
- Examination of the shape and color of your teeth: We believe that every smile is unique and should reflect who you are. That's why, during this initial appointment, we pay close attention to the shape and coloration of each tooth in order to assess their appearance as well as identify any potential areas requiring treatment or enhancement.
- Digital X-rays: To gain a comprehensive view of the inside of your mouth, digital X-rays are taken, which provide highly detailed images without exposing you to excessive radiation. These images serve as valuable diagnostic tools for identifying issues such as decay between teeth or hidden infections beneath the gum line.
- Charting existing restorations: If you have had previous dental work done, like fillings or crowns, our team will chart these restorations so that they can be monitored throughout future visits, ensuring their longevity and functionality.
- Examination of your gums and charting of any problems: Our skilled dental team will carefully assess the health of your gums by examining their color, texture, and overall condition. We will also use special tools to measure the depth of the spaces between your teeth and gums, known as periodontal pockets. This allows us to identify any signs of gum disease or other oral health issues that may require attention.
- Necessary periodontal services: If we detect any indications of gum disease or advanced periodontal conditions during our examination, rest assured that we are equipped to provide effective treatment options. Whether it involves scaling and root planing or more advanced procedures like laser therapy or surgical intervention, our goal is always to restore optimal gum health for you.
- Check bite placement: Achieving proper alignment between upper and lower teeth is crucial not only for aesthetics but also for functional reasons. During this stage in your first visit, we will evaluate how well your bite aligns when you close down on each side using state-of-the-art technology if necessary.
- Use of an intraoral camera to take pictures of your mouth: During your first visit, we will utilize an intraoral camera to capture detailed images of your mouth. This device allows us to examine every nook and cranny, providing a thorough assessment that may not be possible with the naked eye alone.
- A check of your jaw for any TMJ problems: Your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) plays a crucial role in enabling smooth jaw movement while speaking, eating, and even yawning. During this initial consultation with us, one aspect that we prioritize is assessing the condition of your jaw joints. Our skilled professionals will perform tests and examine for any signs of TMJ disorders or abnormalities that could potentially cause discomfort or hinder proper chewing function.
- A check of your head and neck for abnormalities: Dentistry is not only about teeth; it encompasses comprehensive care for overall oral well-being. As part of our commitment to delivering holistic treatment, our experienced team extends their examination beyond just the mouth area. During this appointment, we will meticulously inspect both your head and neck regions for any irregularities, such as swelling or lumps, which might indicate underlying medical concerns unrelated to dentistry.
- Screening for cavities: One of the first things we will do during your initial visit is conduct a thorough screening for cavities. Our skilled dental team, led by Dr. MacConnell, will examine each tooth meticulously to identify any signs of decay or potential cavities. This process may involve visual inspections, dental X-rays, and other advanced technologies that allow us to detect even the tiniest indications of tooth decay.
- Complete oral exam from Dr. MacConnell: As part of your first visit experience at our dental office, you can expect a comprehensive oral examination conducted personally by our highly experienced dentist, Dr. MacConnell. During this examination, he will carefully assess the overall health and condition of your teeth and gums while paying close attention to any specific concerns you may have mentioned earlier in your appointment or on your medical history form.
What to Do Before Your Dental Appointment?
- Provide a complete list of every medication you currently take, as well as any dietary supplements.
- Bring with you recent dental X-rays, if available.
- Take your insurance card or any other necessary billing forms.
- Please ensure to disclose any medical conditions that may impact your dental care.
- Utilize our user-friendly website to complete patient forms online and submit them, saving you valuable time and ensuring a hassle-free administrative process.
At the Center for Family and Implant Dentistry, our entire team is dedicated to providing you with exceptional care and service. With years of experience and extensive knowledge in dentistry, we are confident in our ability to meet your oral health needs.
We value your comfort above all else and guarantee that you will be well taken care of during every visit. Our friendly staff will ensure that you feel at ease from the moment you step into our office until the end of your appointment. We pride ourselves on keeping patients informed throughout their dental journey, explaining each procedure thoroughly so that you can make educated decisions about your oral health. If you're ready to take the next step towards a healthier smile, don't hesitate to give us a call today to schedule your first appointment with us at the Center for Family and Implant Dentistry!